Part 2 of the “guess the novel from its first sentence” trivia game.
1. He sat before the mirror of the second-floor bedroom sketching his lean cheeks with their high bone ridges, the flat broad forehead, and ears too far back on the head, the dark hair curling forward in thatches, the amber-colored eyes wide-set but heavy-lidded.
2. Samuel Spade’s jaw was long and bony, his chin a jutting v under the more flexible v of his mouth.
3. Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loin.
4. Call me Ishmael.
5. All children, except one, grow up.
6. Robert Cohn was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton.
7. On they went, singing “Rest Eternal,” and whenever they stopped, their feet, the horses, and the gusts of wind seemed to carry on their singing.
8. Here is an account of a few years in the life of Quoyle, born in Brooklyn and raised in a shuffle of dreary upstate towns.
9. The senior partner studied the resume for the hundredth time and again found nothing he disliked about Mitchell Y. McDeere, at least not on paper.
10. Howard Roark laughed.
11. Midway in the journey of our life / I came to myself in a dark wood, / for the straight way was lost.
12. Early one evening, during an exceptional heat wave in the beginning of July, a young man walked out into the street from the closetlike room he rented on Stoliarny Place. Slowly, as though he could not make up his mind, he began to move in the direction of the Kokushkin Bridge. (Twp sentences, I know.)
13. It was a pleasure to burn.
14. The exterior of a two-story corner building on a street in New Orleans which is named Elysian Fields and runs between the L & N tracks and the river. (A play.)
15. I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975.
16. The problem lay buried, unspoken, for many years in the minds of American women.
17. The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance agent promised to fly from Mercy to the other side of Lake Superior at three o’clock.
18. In 1815 Monsieur Charles-Francois-Bienvenu Myriel was Bishop of Digne.
19. Ennis del Mar wakes before five, wind rocking the trailer, hissing in around the aluminum door and window frames.
20. Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and razor lay crossed.